Friday, August 6, 2010

Asking for a Raise

There's been quite a few changes going on recently where I work. The company likes to shuffle around their management team from store to store, using the specific skill sets each of us have, to address whatever issues are going on in that store. When the problem is resolved, a good manager can expect to train their replacement and be transferred on to the next opportunity. Keeps things fresh. I started working at a store in San Francisco, was transferred down to a store in Fremont about a month into my training, and in about 10 days will be transferring back to the San Francisco store to complete training to manage my own store! I've only been with the company for 6 months! The upper management for my company proposed the move to me, and told me the reason was that they wanted to get their most talented Assistant Manager into the busiest store in the company to fast track my training. Whoa! I'd think they were blowing smoke up my ass if they hadn't been totally saying the same things to me throughout my entire employment.
So, hearing this praise, I jumped at the opportunity and requested to be compensated a bit better for all that I was doing for them! I didn't word it like that, but instead in a way that illustrated I knew how valuable I was to them and I felt I had a LOT to continue to offer to their philosophy as well. It was wordy, and pretty, and most importantly, effective! I was immediately responded to with resounding agreement and hey, I got my raise! Never in my life had I felt comfortable enough in my abilities to request something like that, especially while still so new with the company! I guess confidence really does go a long, long way. Life is full of new lessons, every day, for sure.

No comments: