Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Our worms eat better than we do

I'm a woman who likes to see results. Don't get me wrong I'm also infinitely patient, but if I can finagle a way to get good, quality rewards from a process in less time...why not, right? Don't get me wrong (pt. 2), I'm pretty darn frugal so I don't jump at every convenience item or gadget I see either...probably because I get this gut-wrenching pain every time I have to buy something "new"...so I try to avoid that too. What I'm trying to say is who doesn't appreciate a good shortcut every once in a while when you're living a life (by choice) mostly in the slow (yet scenic) lane?!?!
Case in point: Our friendly little Casa de Wormies

These guys are voracious, let me tell ya...but by no fault of their own, it does take a while for them to get through an apple core, carrot head, or any of a number of other veggie material. I figured the most logical answer would be to make the food smaller..a LOT smaller. The Handy blender to the rescue!

Step 1: Gather past-prime and trimmings from fridge. In this case our menu consists of some slightly stinky rice and beans, loose and limp rainbow chard, somewhat soggy mache lettuce, and usually unusable corn husks and silks.


Step 2: Chop all your ingredients to blender size pieces. Throw about handful size amounts in blender at a time w/ enough water to make ingredients actually blend.


Step 3: Pour your soup into freezable container, drain off extra water (which I throw right onto outdoor compost heap), and marvel at the quickness you've just made some delicious veggie pate for your wormies!


My first batch from this method had SUCH awesome results that I think I'll definitely stick with it. The key is, when placing a dollop of our goo into the bin, make a little taco pocket for it out of damp newspaper. That way, the excess moisture in the mix doesn't drown any baby worms, adults can eat the mix from the outside in, creating little safe pockets for more baby worms!

---------------------------

Yesterday was kind of a rough one for me at the ole' HSSV, so I treated myself to some new reading material after work. Its RARE that I splurge on new stuff (see above) but it made me feel much better after a day of seeing one terribly taken care of animal after another...
I got..

and..

and...finally...


I almost finished the compost one last night....and I'm full of ideas!!

No comments: