Sunday, August 31, 2008

Down on the corner

So I realized that I've never shared what the outside of our little urban compound looks like. Here we are, hidden in plain sight, at the end of that drive, sharing space in what used to be dry storage for Dole.

Oh the possibilities I wake up with on a daily basis! There are literally 10,000 things we could be doing with the amount of space we have...
The building is situated right between the rapid high-density development of Japan town (which can be seen in the right background) and the older, somewhat decaying neighborhoods of East San Jose. Living in this area is quite a trip..
----------------

I finally finished this book..


The author lives in Berkeley, (not far from us), so I gained a new perspective on the availability of local food sources in our area. The winding stories of the way each of the four meals come together is well-written and easily digestable..not to mention funny, sad, and eye-opening at the same time! I've been reading about food, food chains, and everything related pretty consistently for the past 6 years (thank you Fast Food Nation), and found this book to be one of the better selections. I'd recommend it to a first-time American food-system detective anyday!

No comments: