Thursday, July 29, 2010

How do you make a 23 year old child grow up?

The job that I hold sometimes requires me to act in a managerial way that closely resembles babysitting. There is nothing I despise more than this. To me, there is a certain level of maturity and work ethic that one should have if they want to continue to be employed..in ANY profession. It's mentally and physically exhausting to have to have to keep one eye on whatever the kids that work for you are fucking off at at the moment, and one eye on your own work. I'm tired of it!

So, rather than let this behavior go on and on and let these people think acting like a spoiled child is perfectly acceptable, I decided to put a stop to it. Pointing out someone's faults when it comes to work, and intentionally putting myself in a position of conflict is NOT something I'm very good at, but I'm working on it. The reason I chose to write about this was so I could reflect a bit more on how I chose to handle this specific situation.

For the first time in my work life, I took a mental step back from what was going on and viewed it from a different angle. Taking a page from the conflict training I attended about a month ago, I forced my brain to put aside the annoyance that was surrounding my view of this specific person, and address her as a person instead of a problem.

On some level I know that corporate trainings are meant to mold the masses that attend them into nicely behaving profit makers. I didn't totally buy in to all they were teaching, for that very reason. BUT, the mental tools offered to ease my own stress when dealing with managing people were TOTALLY useful. Which honestly was a very welcome surprise!

A new level of confidence was acquired during that interaction...and life goes on for the better for the both of us!

No comments: