Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Applesauce Raspberry Muffins *Vegan*

I got the bug to bake today. It was cold, I was bored, and there were a stack of cookbooks staring me down, taunting me. I've been wanting to try my hand at these muffins for quite some time now. The smell of apples and cinnamon wafting through the house on crisp winter mornings in the mountains when I was a bit younger was...well...near perfect.

So! I looked up a couple of different recipes for vegan versions and settled on this one from How it All Vegan!


Applesauce Muffins

2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup soy milk
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp oil
1/3 cup maple syrup
1 cup applesauce
3/4 cup raisins
2 tbsp raspberry jam (I added this into the mix for extra yum)

Assemble the players!


Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a large ceramic bowl, sift together the flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon. Make sure your dry ingredients are thouroughly mixed before adding anything wet! Add the soy milk, vinegar, oil, maple syrup, applesauce, jam, and raisins.

Mix together gently until "just mixed". Spoon batter into lightly oiled muffin tins. I added a little dollop of raspberry jam to the top of each of my muffins pre-baking, for extra sweetness.

Bake for 15-20 minutes. Test with a toothpick to see if done. Makes 6 BIG muffins, or 12 small muffins.
And voila! The super, super tasty result! Moist and sweet and delicious with a little vegan butter....mmmmmmmmm


Maybe I'll make something like this for my fam on Christmas morning...they'll never know the difference!

No comments: